Thursday, July 24, 2008

What a Day

Hi Friends,

As you can imagine, it has been a long, long day.

But it was a beautiful day, and we are all so grateful to have had the time we had with Baby Mac. He was the most precious thing, as you can all see from the amazing picture (on the left) that was taken by Elizabeth Smith. We are so grateful to her for the time she spent with us, the compassion she showed to our family, and the love she had for Mac. Thank you, Elizabeth. We cannot wait to see the rest!

When Mac was born, it was evident very quickly that there was no question about his diagnosis. He was breathing, but it was very shallow. The neonatologist examined him briefly and then gave him right over to Claire & Jeff. His color wasn't great and the doctors indicated that his time here would be very, very short.... but he was gorgeous and he was so loved for every minute he was here.

While Mac was still with us, Vicki Franch performed a beautiful baptism ceremony. She read scripture, and had brought holy water from the church in a very pretty shell. She was emotional, she cried with all of us, but was such a comforting presence for everyone. Vicki, we are so grateful to you, words cannot express our thanks for the gift you gave us today.

I wanted to share some of what Vicki said during the baptism...

"Mac... we received you from the Lord's hands for a little while... we trust that He will receive you back from his parents' arms, heal you and make you whole, keep you safe and well until we can see you again, in the Father's House. Mac, you are a child of God. And we know that you will never know a day without being in the presence of Jesus.
Merciful God, you strengthen us by your power and wisdom. Be gracious to Jeff and Claire in their grief, and surround them with your unfailing love; that they might not be overwhelmed by their loss, but have confidence in your goodness, and courage to meet the days to come, through Jesus Christ our Lord...
Dear Lord, welcome this baby into your kingdom and hold him in your arms when his parents have to let him go. Care for him and heal him. Comfort his mother and father. Help them to grieve well for him and comfort them in ther grief. Amen..."
After the baptism, everyone got to spend some time with Baby Mac, to hold him, cuddle him, love him, and just soak in every inch of him. It was such a special time for all of us. Afterwards, Claire and Jeff had some more time with Baby Mac all to themselves. They were able to weigh & measure him (5lbs 14oz, 19 inches long!), get his hand & footprints as keepsakes, and get some more last pictures.
I cannot say enough good things about the staff here at Northside. From the nurses to the doctors to the chaplain to the Perinatal Loss staff... everyone we have seen has been so kind, patient, compassionate and supportive. They were truly prepared for anything that could have happened. When Claire & Jeff decided it was time for Mac's body to go, the nurses even had a special white wicker bassinet that they carried in to place his body in, to carry him away.
Claire and Jeff's biggest worry was that the experience would be chaotic, frantic or stressful. I am pleased to say that it was anything but that. Baby Mac was a quiet little one, and the only significant sound he made was when he was placed in his mommy's arms for the first time. As Jeff said, he sure knew that she was his mommy. They were given all of the space they needed, and were treated with complete respect for their emotional needs and privacy. Our family was provided with a private waiting room for the day, so that we could have our space too. Mac's passing was peaceful and calm, nothing was rushed and the neonatologist gave them plenty of time before he re-checked Mac's condition.
Ellen brought Lydie for a fun visit a little later in the afternoon. What a needed ray of sunshine she was! She was on cloud nine to have all of her 'people' here together. She laughed, danced, played and put a smile on everyone's faces.

We are all so very sad. Our hearts are breaking for the loss of this precious child. The grief journey has just begun, but the initial steps have been made easier by the love & support that Claire & Jeff have gotten from our friends and family. They read every single comment on the blog today (or had it read aloud) and continue to be so appreciative for your thoughts and prayers. Please keep it up!

Thank you for sharing this day with us. The grandparents have all gone home to get some good quality sleep. Claire and Jeff have been allowed to stay in the room where they delivered Mac, which was a nice bonus. They are hopeful that they can come home in the morning and spend the weekend with family, resting & recovering.

We'll keep you all posted in the days to come.

love kathie

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Claire and Jeff,
I have checked the blog all day just to hear how you guys are holding up. I havent been able to get you all off of my mind and heart. I cannot tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your gorgeous little boy. I am so glad that you got to have some sweet time with your little boy. Hold onto those memories. You two are so strong and the Clements and Cushing Families will continue to pray and pray for you. Claire, my mom is out of town, but we spoke today and she wanted you to know she is praying for you and has every day since you guys found out the diagnosis. We love you so much and have always loved you since the 2nd grade at Dynamos. Please let us know how we can help...whether it be taking care of Bella anytime or Lydie or bringing you dinner. We are here and available for anything. I promise to pray for you. It is so hard to remember, but know that Jesus wants us to come to him when we are weak because He is strong. Cling to the Lord and allow Him to be your strength. We love you all so much. We are here if you ever need a helping hand...a friend to talk to...anything. We love you guys,
Kelly and John

Anonymous said...

Claire, Jeff and Kathy,
I can not stop looking at the blog to see what update you have. Kathy you are an angel for keeping us all posted.
Wow, Mac was handsome - the pic is beautiful!
Claire, I am counting down the days until I see you. Please call me if you would like to chat - early in the am, middle of the night...anytime.
I would love to call you now and hear your voice but I am restraining myself. Just know I am here anytime.
Big huge hug to all of you!
Love you,
Amy Brumfield

Anonymous said...

Claire and Jeff, we have been checking the blog all day and our hearts break for the loss of precious baby Mac. Our hearts have been heavy and our prayers constant. I am so thankful the day was peaceful and quiet and that you both and Mac were surrounded by s o much love and support. We send all our love, Dodie and Mike

Anonymous said...

Claire and Jeff,
You dont know me as I am just one of Elizabeth's clients who reads her blog on a regular basis. When I read her blog today I also clicked on the link she provided so I could say prayers for your family. As a new mom myself I was overcome with emotion thinking of what you must be going through. Your family is very obviously grounded in faith and what a true inspiration you have been to me. Its so easy to get caught up in daily life and forget just how big and awesome our God is. Looking at the picture of your sweet beautiful baby boy reminded me of how perfect a place heaven must be. I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that I am praying for your family and will continue to do so.

Anonymous said...

Claire and Jeff, just wanted to let you know that Jeff and I have been thinking of you and your sweet child Mac all day. You continue to be in my constant thoughts and prayers. Hugs, kisses and love to you (and Lydie). And Kathie, thank you so much for the beautiful words you have shared with us today. Susannah

Anonymous said...

Sending Love and Comfort to you

Scott & Wendi

Anonymous said...

Dear Claire and Jeff,
I work with Ann Marie and have been praying for your family during the past weeks. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet little boy. The picture of Baby Mac is precious, and I pray that the cherished memories of your beautiful baby boy will sustain you in the days ahead. I know the amazing love of your family will comfort and strengthen you. May you rest in God's peace that passes understanding.
Jane Leake

Anonymous said...

Dear Claire, Jeff and family,

You are often in our prayers. In chaos may you find peace; in grief may you find strength; in uncertainty may you find assurance. We love all of you. Thank you, Kathie, for updating this blog so that we can walk this road with you.

Love,
Inman & April Houston

Anonymous said...

You don't know me either, but I read your blog yesterday from the link on Elizabeth's. As a mother of a young child, I cannot fathom your grief or loss. I am reminded of how blessed I am by the miracle of life. My prayers and thoughts are with you in the days and months ahead that the Lord will help to make the hole in your hearts less raw.

Anonymous said...

Claire and Jeff,
I don't know you all but I know Kathie(my sister is Kathie's friend)
I just want you all to know that prayers are being lifted up on your behalf from Richmond, Va. God is a faithful God and is abundant in love. May you grieve your loss and find grace and peace in the process.
Ashley Darrah Hall

Anonymous said...

Dear Claire and Jeff,
Words fail me at a time like this. I have loved Claire since before she was born, watched her grow into a beautiful wife and mother and know that with her grace and courage, she will be strong. Mac was loved completely in his short life. What a blessing! Please know that we love you and share in your loss.
Claire, I want to teach to you knit when you are ready.
All our love,
Kathie and Steve

Heidi said...

Claire and Jeff,

My name is Heidi Lloyd, and I work with your mom, Anne Marie. I have been praying for you and Mac for some time. Mac was beautiful, and I am so thankful that you have those beautiful pictures to treasure. I know the Lord's grace will be sufficient for you because I know He is true to His Word. May God hold you and comfort you now and for the days to come.

Heidi Lloyd

Anonymous said...

Dear Claire and Jeff,
I'm a parent at Wesleyan and love your Mom. Thank you for sharing Mac with the rest of us who cannot be there. What a beautiful angel he will be. You are in our prayers everyday and we hope there is peace in your hearts today.
Love, Kim Sutton Adair

Anonymous said...

To Claire and Jeff,
My thoughts and prayers have been with you and your family during these last few days and weeks, and they will continue in your time of grief. I'm thankful that you had some loving moments with your beautiful little Mac. He is an irreplaceable, precious gift.
Cailin Thelen

Anonymous said...

Our hearts are heavy as we have been reading about you preparing for the arrival of Baby Mac and the intense love that we know surrounded him when he came into your life. We continue to be inspired by your constant faith and your trust in our Lord. Please know you will remain in all of our thoughts and prayers.

We love you,
Barbara, John, and kids