Saturday, July 26, 2008

A note from Claire and Jeff

Friends,

I am not quite sure where to start this post--I guess the best way to do it is to say that there is no way that I can even attempt to be as eloquent as Kathie has been throughout her postings here, so I am not even going to try. Jeff and I felt like it was very important for us to post here ourselves so that we can thank all of the people that have helped us so much through this journey, including thanking all of you who have kept up with us this week through this amazing blog Kathie created.

We continue to grieve so deeply for Mac, but at the same time we also continue to celebrate the beautiful experience welcoming him into the world on Thursday, and also letting him go. My dad said tonight that he couldn't have scripted Thursday any better, and we couldn't agree more. We are the proud parents of a beautiful baby boy whose memory we will always cherish, and we are so glad we were able to meet him and spend the limited time we had holding and loving on him. We know he touched so many people in his short life, and are comforted by that.

While this journey has been incredibly difficult, we have focused on the silver linings we've seen. We are thankful for so many things--our marriage has never been stronger, and our families never closer. We have reconnected with old friends and made new ones. We've held Lydie a little closer each night, and I think have become better parents. Life is a little sweeter because of Mac, and we are thankful for that. Most importantly, we would not change a thing about the last 9 months and having Mac in our lives.

And how can we properly thank Kathie for all that she has done for us? She has been our rock through these incredibly difficult times, from the first dark day in April when our worlds were turned upside down, through my stay in the hospital in May, and in helping us prepare for Mac's birth and his death. When I just didn't feel up to talking to anyone, she would talk for me. When I had unimaginable phone calls to make, like to the funeral home last week, she made them for me. When we needed an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on, she was there, most of the time holding back her own emotions in order to be strong for us. When I told her I was looking for a blanket to wrap Mac in when he was born, she gave me the blanket she had already bought for him the week before. When we needed our space after Mac was born, she made sure it was given to us. When we needed to tell the nurses that we were ready for them to take Mac's body, she told them for us. When I didn't know what we would do with Mac's ashes, she gave us the sugar bowl, which is just perfect. She did all of these things, and so many more, because she loves me and Jeff, and especially because she loves Mac.

She has so accurately described our emotions and our experiences in the email updates that she sent since I first was in the hospital in May and in her amazing posts on the blog. She has brought so many of you into our lives, and we have felt your thoughts and prayers. They have lifted us up these last few months, and they will continue to do so. She has shown me what true, unconditional love is, and I have never been more grateful to have her as my sister, and I'll never be able to thank her for all that she has done. So, Kath, the best I can say is thank you.

And, finally, thank you to all of you for all you have done for us--we have been humbled by all of the love of friends and strangers alike, shown through prayers, notes, calls, meals, offers to babysit (or Bella-sit!). I would love to thank everyone by name, but that would make an already-too-long blog entry a lot longer. Suffice it to say that we are lucky people!

Thank you for being a part of our lives, and for loving baby Mac with us.

Much love,

Claire and Jeff

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

claire,
i love you girl. i cried as i read this to john. we love you and are amazed by you and jeff and your strength. i pray that the Lord will continue to overwhelm you with His love and grace and strength in the next few days and months. let us know how we can help. love you all!

Anonymous said...

Claire and Jeff,
You are an amazing couple and I feel so lucky that our lives have collided in such an awesome way. I like to think that you were meant to become clients almost two years ago so that this week I could be with you to welcome and say goodbye to Mac. It was a blessing that we already had such a wonderful existing relationship! I love you guys and I am so proud of you. Your strength and courage is inspirational and you continue to be in my prayers!
All my love,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. I am glad you are home. You have had quite a journey...Sarah and I have been thinking about yall and praying for you daily. You are right when you say experiences like this make you hug your own kids a little tighter. We are all very lucky to have entered this phase of life with yall and we look forward to many great times together with our families in the future. Sarah and I love you both.
Ryan and Sarh

Anonymous said...

Claire & Jeff-
Billy and I have thought about you every minute of every day since we heard about sweet little baby Mac. By the posts and responses on this site, we are not the only ones! You are both so loved by your family and friends. We will continue to pray for your healing during the coming weeks and months. Chase sends Lydie all the hugs and kisses in the world!

Love,
Heather & Billy
------------------
When God calls little children
to dwell with him above,
We mortals sometime question
the wisdom of his love
For no heartache compares with
the death of one small child
Who does so much to make our world,
seem wonderful and mild
Perhaps God tires of calling
the aged to his fold,
So He picks a rosebud,
before he can grow old.
God knows how much we need them,
and so he takes but a few
To make the land of Heaven
more beautiful to view.
Believing this is difficult still
somehow we must try,
The saddest word mankind knows will always be "Goodbye."
So when a little child departs
we who are left behind
Must realize God loves children,
Angels are hard to find.

-Unknown

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby Mac. I pray that God will wrap his loving arms around you and provide strength to your family. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Love, Alison

Anonymous said...

Darling Family ~

It has been an honor to have watched you courageously journey down a path you were not expecting. And now, even though your paths seem to have gone in different directions, I know you and Mac remain together forever through God's love. Thank you for sharing sweet baby Mac with us.

Sending you hugs and lots of love,
Miss Carol

Unknown said...

Jeff,
I am not sure that you will even remember me, but I went to school and church with you, and my dad still sees your dad from time to time, so my parents let me know what was going on with you guys. You and your precious family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Tricia Miller

Anonymous said...

Claire and Jeff,

Y'all are absolutely amazing people. Our hearts go out to you during this time. We love you and are praying for you. Please know that we are here if you need anything.

Ryan and Natalie

Anonymous said...

Well put and many thanks to Kathie for keeping us informed about you, Jeff, Mac and Lydie. It has been a blessing to be able to read your experiences so my prayers can be more vivid and descriptive for you.
Love you!
AM

Anonymous said...

Claire,

I am so glad you were able to hold and love your precious child before releasing him into the outstretched, welcoming arms of his heavenly Father.

Anonymous said...

You have been in mine and Paul's prayers through this whole journey. Mac is so lucky to have such amazing parents and Lydie now has a perfect little angel watching over her. You are loved by so many, especially by God, and He will continue to be there for you as your journey continues. Your strength is such an inspiration to me and I know that strength has been and will continue to be tested. We love you and look forward to seeing you when you return from some much-deserved rest.

Andrea